1) maui skies - although this is a spectacular view, clear blue skies with a slight breeze through palm leaves, i should have taken a picture of maui's sky at night. the stars were endless and gave you the illusion that they were twinkling a mere ten feet above your head. nature, man...it's underrated.
2) freckles - growing up, i've always been a bit self-conscious about the lightly brown sprinkle of freckles on my face. i've grown to not only accept them, but love them, as they seem to be a well-known characteristic of my appearance.
3) swingers - so many memorable quotes from this movie. my favorite conversation would have to be between mikey and rob, that goes a little something like this:
rob: you don't look at the things that you have, you only look at the stuff that you don't have. those guys are right about you - you're money.
mike: then why won't she call?
rob: she won't call because you left. she's got her own life to deal with, man, and that's in new york... alright? and she's a sweet girl, and i love her to pieces, but fuck her, man. you gotta get on with your life. you gotta let go of the past. and mikey, when you do, i'm telling you: the future is beautiful, alright? look out the window. it's sunny every day here. it's like manifest destiny. don't tell me we didn't make it. we made it! we are here. and everything that is past is prologued to this. all of the shit that didn't kill us is only - you know, all that shit. you're gonna get over it.
mike: how did you get over it? i mean, how long did it take?
rob: sometimes it still hurts. you know how it is, man. it's like, you wake up every day and it hurts a little bit less, and then you wake up one day and it doesn't hurt at all. and the funny thing is, is that, this is kinda weird, but it's like, it's like you almost miss that pain.
mike: you miss the pain?
rob: yeah, for the same reason that you missed her... because you lived with it for so long.
4) john legend - he's definitely on my list to see in concert. blessed with a voice full of soul and skilled at playing beautifully melodic tunes on the piano, john legend won me over with his song so high.
5) fashion alices - i've got a bit of a fascination with the whole alice in wonderland theme. as previously mentioned, the disney film and lewis carroll's book make up a big portion of my childhood. now in my thirties, this same theme has taken a more sophisticated approach in that it has evolved into fashion! this is an evening gown by designer, robert cary-williams, that is covered with illustrations from the classic.
6) reef flip-flops - i bought a brown pair three years ago in oahu. out of the 30+ pairs of shoes that i have, my reefs get the most use.
7) riesling - thanks to noralie, my love for the riesling wine was developed. between our maui trip and dinners involved for ryan's birthday, we've ordered a few bottles of dr.loosen's reisling. although i've never met a riesling wine that i didn't like, his seems the crispest and sweetest.
8) chicago - skyscraper day, celebrated on september 3rd, is a day to appreciate and admire the world's tallest skyscrapers. the sears tower ranks fourth in the world's tallest buildings, built in 1974 and hovering 1,451 feet in the air. i would probably consider chicago my mid-west home away from home.
9) shade - again, another form of mother nature's nurturing features.
10) “a girl without freckles is like a night without stars”...such a lovely quote.